Green Bean Casserole With Crispy Pancetta and Buttermilk Fried Onions
Dress up that traditional green bean casserole this year when you add pancetta and homemade buttermilk fried onions. Full of flavor, this twist on the classic recipe is guaranteed to impress any guest.
Prep Time15 minutes
Cook Time1 hour
Cook it With Our
- 2 pounds green beans, stems removed
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- 2 large shallots, thinly sliced
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ pound cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 cup cold heavy cream
- 2¾ teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced (with the grain)
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1½ cups vegetable oil (for frying)
- 8 ounces diced pancetta
- Soak onions in buttermilk, 5 minutes.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, salt and pepper. Remove onions from buttermilk and allow excess to drip off. Toss with seasoned flour and set aside.
- Heat a 12 inch skillet over medium heat with vegetable oil. When the oil starts to shimmer, working in batches, add onions and fry for 3 minutes or until golden brown.
- After frying the onions, add diced pancetta to the hot oil. Fry until crispy, 2 minutes. Drain on the paper towel with the onions.
- Remove oil from the skillet and wipe out the skillet.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Bring a large pot of water to a rolling boil. Add 2 tablespoons of salt and add the green beans. Boil for 7 minutes. Drain and add to a large bowl of ice water to stop cooking. Drain from ice water and set aside.
- In a 12 inch skillet, melt 2 tablespoons of butter over medium-high heat. Add shallots and cook until softened, 3 minutes. Add the garlic and continue to cook for 2 minutes. Add the sliced mushrooms, thyme, and 2 tablespoons of butter. Sauté, stirring occasionally, for 5–7 minutes.
- Remove the sautéed mushrooms from the skillet. Lower heat to medium. Melt 2 tablespoons of butter and add the flour and stock, whisking until smooth. Slowly add the heavy cream, continuing to whisk until smooth.
- Stir in the mushrooms and bring to a boil. Remove from heat and season with salt and pepper.
- Assemble the casserole, by spreading green beans in the bottom of the Casserole pan. Spread the mushroom sauce over the green beans and toss lightly. Bake for 25 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and top with crispy onions and pancetta mixture.