Grilled Margherita Pizza Recipe
Marinara sauce, Alpine cheddar cheese, and chopped fresh basil combine beautifully to make a light and delicious pizza cooked on the grill.
Prep Time10 minutes
Cook Time50 minutes
Cook it With Our
- 1, 10-ounce ball of pizza dough, risen at room temperature
- Flour for dusting
- Semolina or cornmeal for dusting
- ⅓ cup marinara sauce
- 3 ounces shredded Cabot Alpine cheddar
- 4 teaspoons chopped fresh basil
- Preheat Big Green Egg (or other grill) for direct, high-heat grilling. Temperature sensor in lid should read 500 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Place dough on a lightly floured surface. Gently spread dough out with fingertips and sides of your hands, keeping as much air in the outer/crust edge as possible. Stretch dough (or roll out with a rolling pin) into a 10-inch circle.
- Sprinkle semolina lightly in the bottom of a 12 Inch Skillet. Lay pizza dough out in the prepared skillet. Spread marinara over the pizza dough, leaving a border for the crust. Sprinkle with Alpine cheddar.
- Place the skillet on the Big Green Egg and close the dome. Let pizza cook, opening it and rotating the skillet clockwise until the pizza is puffed, the bottom is crisp and browned, the crust is starting to brown and the cheese is melted. Remove the entire skillet from the Big Green Egg with potholders. Slide pizza onto cutting board with a spatula. Sprinkle with basil. Cut and serve.
Kitchen Note: To let dough rise, portion 10-ounce ball of dough. Round with two hands by pressing into the work surface and spinning the dough in place. This will tighten the surface of the dough. Place on a surface dusted with flour and cover with plastic wrap that has been coated with cooking spray. Let rise 40-90 minutes before stretching out in step 2.