Karl Worley’s Family Reserve Biscuits
This recipe comes to us from our friend Karl Worley at Biscuit Love in Nashville, Tennessee. "These biscuits are so special because they’re my grandma’s recipe and I love to share them with others,” said Karl of the biscuits that have made his restaurant so popular. Karl suggests topping them with sweet jams or savory gravy.
Prep Time10 minutes
Cook Time20 minutes
Cook it With Our
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons butter, very cold
- 2 tablespoons lard, very cold
- 1 cup full-fat buttermilk
- ⅔ cup heavy cream
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour, for shaping
- 4 tablespoons melted butter, for shaping
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Butter the bottom and sides of an 8-inch cast iron skillet.
- Mix together dry ingredients. Grate the cold butter and lard into the dry ingredients and toss to distribute. Pour the buttermilk and cream into the dry ingredients and mix until just barely combined. It should resemble cottage cheese.
- Use a 4-ounce scoop or spoon to place one dollop of dough into a bowl with the remaining flour. Sprinkle flour on top. Pick up the dough ball and gently shake off excess flour. Place into the skillet very close together.
- Bake for 20 minutes until golden brown and set.
- Pour melted butter over biscuits as soon as they are out of the oven.
Chef notes: Double the recipe for a 10 or 12 inch skillet.