This recipe comes to us from our friend Chef Meherwan Irani. His flavorful take on a traditional omelet will switch up your old morning routine. According to Chef Irani, omelets in India are cooked longer than the French style, with simple ingredients like chilies for a bright, fresh heat that will wake up your palate. Add tomato and cilantro for color as well as for acidity and a pinch of turmeric for a wonderful golden yellow color.
Prep Time5 minutes
Cook Time5 minutes
Cook it With Our
- 2 eggs
- 1 green chili, chopped thin
- ¼ cup tomatoes, diced
- 2 tablespoons cilantro
- ⅛ teaspoon turmeric powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ tablespoon butter
- Heat a Cast Iron Skillet over medium-low heat.
- Crack eggs into a bowl. Add salt and turmeric, beat well.
- When skillet is hot, add half of the butter and the chopped green chili. Fry the chili for a few seconds then add tomato. Add the remaining butter and then begin to pour in the egg.
- Mix the egg around a few times to incorporate the masala into the egg and, using a spatula, press the edges towards the middle while rotating and tilting the pan so that the omelet is evenly spread.
- Sprinkle the cilantro over the omelet and cook for a minute on medium heat.
- Flip the omelet over and fry the other side for 1 minute.
- Serve hot with toast or muska pav.