Sausage-filled Cheese Rolls
You can use any kind of bulk sausage you like in these tender, cheesy rolls: breakfast, italian, andouille. Your rolls, you choose!
Prep Time2.5-3 hours 15 minutes
Cook Time35-40 minutes
Cook it With Our
- 1 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons instant yeast
- 3 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup shredded swiss cheese
- ½ cup grated parmesan cheese
- 12 ounces uncooked bulk breakfast or italian sausage
- ¼ cup bread crumbs
- chopped fresh parsley (optional)
- Combine all of the ingredients in a large bowl, mixing until the dough comes together.
- Knead by hand for 8 minutes or in the bowl of a stand mixer for 6 minutes at medium-low speed until the dough is smooth and supple.
- Cover and let rise for 60-90 minutes, until the dough is doubled.
- Mix the sausage and breadcrumbs together until evenly combined; this is most easily accomplished by squishing the mixture through your fingers.
- Stir in the parsley, if using.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured work surface and press it out to a 12 x 14-inch rectangle. Spread the filling over the dough, leaving one long edge uncovered. Roll up the dough toward the uncovered edge, pinching it to seal.
- Using a sharp knife or a length of unflavored dental floss, cut the dough into 12 rolls. Place the rolls, cut side up, in a greased 9 x 13 Casserole pan. Cover and let rise for 45-60 minutes, until the dough is puffy-looking, though not necessarily doubled.
- Halfway through the rise time, preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. When the dough has risen, uncover and bake for 35-40 minutes, until the rolls are deep golden brown and the dough in the center reads 190 degrees F when measured with a digital thermometer.
- Remove from the oven and serve warm.