Savory Sausage Dutch Baby
This hearty take on a traditional dessert idea is suitable for any meal. Meat, vegetables and cheese are baked with egg batter on top for a versatile, comforting dish. Serve with fresh biscuits, a side salad, or soup.
Prep Time20 minutes
Cook Time20-25 minutes
Cook it With Our
- ½ cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 5 large eggs
- ½ cup whole milk
- ¼ teaspoon Worcestershire or Tabasco sauce
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh herbs (thyme, parsley, chives, rosemary)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 4 ounces bulk sausage, any type
- 3 ounces sliced mushrooms
- ½ cup diced vegetables, in ½ inch pieces (asparagus, broccoli, spinach, kale)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- ¼ cup diced tomatoes or red bell peppers
- ½ cup grated cheese of your choice (cheddar, Parmesan, Swiss, pepperjack)
- Preheat the oven to 425°F.
- In a medium bowl whisk together the flour, eggs, milk, Worcestershire, and herbs; set aside.
- Place a 10” cast iron skillet over medium heat. Add the oil and heat for 30 seconds. Add the sausage and cook, stirring to break it up, until browned. Add the mushrooms and diced vegetables; cook until softened. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the diced tomatoes (or peppers) and cheese. Pour the batter evenly over the meat mixture and immediately transfer the pan to the oven. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until the top is puffy and golden brown at the edges. Remove from the oven and serve immediately.