Stovetop Biscuits and Gravy
Make these unforgettable biscuits and gravy to feed your crowd. The key is to cook the buttery biscuits on the stovetop to get crisp outsides that can withstand the rich gravy loaded on top. Plus, the red pepper flakes in the gravy add a satisfying kick to this breakfast classic. Trust us, you’ll want seconds.
Prep Time10 minutes
Cook Time30 minutes
Cook it With Our
- 1 ¼ cups self-rising flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, grated (very cold)
- ½ cup whole milk or buttermilk (very cold)
- ½ pound breakfast sausage
- 2 tablespoons butter
- ¼ cup flour
- 2 cups milk
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon parsley, chopped
- Combine flour and salt.
- Grate butter into flour and toss to distribute evenly.
- Pour in the milk and mix until just combined.
- Roll dough out onto a floured cutting board and fold in half.
- Roll dough into a rectangle about ½ inch thick.
- Using a mason jar lid, cut 8 biscuits. Reserve dough scraps and lightly knead the dough back together until you have 8 biscuits.
- Preheat an 8-inch skillet over low heat for 5 minutes.
- Add 2 tablespoons vegetable oil along with 4 biscuits. Cook for two minutes before flipping. Check the biscuits and turn every two minutes for 10 to 12 minutes. If the biscuits are browning too quickly, lower the heat.
- Remove from heat.
- While your biscuits are cooking, preheat another 8-inch skillet over medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Add sausage and brown until cooked through, about 8 minutes.
- Remove sausage to a paper towel-lined plate.
- Lower the heat to medium-low and melt butter. Add flour and stir constantly for 3-5 minutes.
- Slowly whisk the milk into the flour mixture until your desired consistency is reached.
- Stir in salt, pepper, red pepper flakes, and sausage.
- Remove from heat, garnish with parsley, and serve over biscuits.