Tips & Tricks
How to Make a Cast Iron Skillet Pizza
Nothing cooks pizza like cast iron, and the skillet pizza craze is far from over. The outstanding heat retention of cast iron results in a crisp crust that can’t be beat. We love the versatility of the skillet pizza. Top it with classic toppings, like our simple Margherita Pizza, or get creative and try something new, like our Bacon Pimento Cheese Pizza (trust us on this!). We even reach for cast iron when we want to reheat a cold slice from the fridge for maximum crust crunch. Whether you're heating up leftovers from your favorite pizzeria or planning your next pizza night, we’ve got you covered with tips and tricks for the perfect piece of pie—because if there’s anything we love more than cast iron, it’s pizza.
How to Make a Skillet Pizza
We’ve got an easy pizza dough recipe that you can try out. If you’re short on time, leave it to the professionals—oftentimes, local pizzerias will sell you fresh dough for a few bucks. Once you have your dough ready, you can have a sizzling hot skillet pizza on the table in just ten minutes. The secret to getting the crust just right is to heat the skillet and crust on the stovetop before you put it in the oven to finish cooking. Here’s how we like to do it:
- Crank up your oven. Some max out at 450 degrees F, some at 500. Take it as hot as it will go.
- Preheat a cast iron skillet on your stove top over medium heat for 5 minutes. Once hot, douse with olive oil and a sprinkle of cornmeal.
- Spread your dough out to about the size of the bottom of the skillet you are using. Carefully cover the bottom of the skillet from edge to edge for a nice pan pizza.
- Brush with olive oil and sprinkle with Italian Herbs. Watch for the bubbles that will form in the dough. You will want to start working quickly here, so as not to burn the bottom of your crust!
- Top with sauce, cheese, and desired toppings.
- Slide your pizza in the oven and bake for 10 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and starting to brown.
Take a Cold Slice from Soggy to Crispy
The microwave just doesn’t do leftover pizza justice. Reheating a slice is the perfect opportunity to achieve a crunch like no other. Here’s how:
- Preheat a skillet over medium heat for about 5 minutes.
- Place cold slices into the hot skillet.
- Add half a teaspoon of water to the skillet, but away from the slice.
- Quickly top with a lid, for melty cheese.
- Cook until crispy, but be careful not to let it burn!
Ready for a pizza party?
Here are a few of our favorite recipes:
Grilled Margherita Pizza
Marinara sauce, Alpine cheddar cheese, and chopped fresh basil combine beautifully to make a light and delicious pizza cooked on the grill.
Bacon & Pimento Cheese Pizza
Topped with homemade pimento cheese and crumbled bacon, each bite of this pizza melts in your mouth for a satisfying combination we didn’t know could be oh-so-good.
Classic Pizza Dough
Garnish this classic pizza dough with your favorite toppings and bake it on a Cast Iron Baking Pan for that perfect crust!
Shrimp Pesto Pizza
Mozzarella cheese, basil pesto, and juicy shrimp adorn crisp pizza dough in this delicious seafood recipe.
Skillet Deep Dish Pizza
This pizza is loaded with toppings and cheese and cooked in a carbon steel skillet for a perfect, crispy crust.