Once you have brisket chili, it may be awhile before you go back to using hamburger for this beloved cold-weather meal. Rubbed with spice and seared to lock in flavor, the brisket adds an extra touch of heartiness to this chili recipe. More spice is found in the stock, along with tomatoes, brown ale for a depth of umami, and bacon.
Prep Time30 minutes
Cook Time1.5 hours
Cook it With Our
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne
- 8 ounces hickory-smoked bacon, diced into ½-inch cubes
- 2 pounds brisket, trimmed and cut into ¼-inch cubes
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 8 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 shallot, minced
- 4 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 cups beef broth
- 1 cup brown ale
- 1, 14.5-ounce can diced fire-roasted tomatoes
- 1, 14.5-ounce can crushed fire-roasted tomatoes
- salt and pepper to taste
- reserved bacon
- green jalapeño
- crème fraîche
- Preheat cast iron dutch oven over medium-high heat for 3-5 minutes. Add bacon and fry until crispy, 5-7 minutes.
- While bacon is frying, season brisket with rub.
- Remove bacon to a paper towel lined plate.
- In batches, sear brisket on all sides, about 2 minutes per side. Place cooked brisket in a medium bowl.
- Add onion to dutch oven and cook for 5-7 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add garlic and shallot and cook for 2 additional minutes. Stir in chili seasonings, brisket, and half the bacon. Add broth and beer and stir well. Then add tomatoes and bring to a boil.
- Reduce to a simmer and cover for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove cover and continue to simmer until desired consistency, about 15 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Garnish with reserved bacon, green onion, sliced jalapeño, and crème fraîche.
Put the bacon and brisket in the freezer for 30 minutes for easier slicing.