Chicken Tortilla Soup
Chicken tortilla soup is a favorite on restaurant menus everywhere. Now you can make it right at home! The soup is lighter compared to a traditional chicken chili, but it doesn't skimp on the bold flavors of cilantro, cumin, and lime juice. Make sure you remember the staple element of the crispy tortilla strip topping, as its add a delightful crunch and hint of saltiness with each spoonful.
Prep Time15 minutes
Cook Time1 hour
Cook it With Our
- 4, 6-inch corn tortillas, cut into thin strips
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 1 rotisserie chicken, pulled
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 white onion, diced
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and diced (optional)
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1, 14.5-ounce can fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 cup fire-roasted corn
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1½ tablespoons lime juice
- salt and pepper to taste
- crispy tortilla strips
- lime wedges
- avocado, sliced or cubed
- cilantro, roughly chopped
- queso fresco, crumbled
- In a medium skillet, heat ½ cup of oil over medium-high heat for 3-5 minutes.
- Fry tortilla strips for 2-3 minutes until crispy. Set aside on a paper towel-lined plate.
- Preheat a cast iron deep skillet or dutch oven over medium-high heat for 3-5 minutes.
- Add olive oil and onion and sauté for 5–7 minutes. Add garlic and jalapeño and continue to cook for 3 minutes.
- Next, add shredded chicken and coat with chili powder, cumin, and salt. Stir in chicken broth, tomatoes, and corn.
- Bring to a boil and lower to a simmer for 30 minutes
- Stir in lime juice.
- Garnish with crispy tortilla strips, queso fresco, avocado, cilantro, and lime.
Freeze the remaining chicken carcass to make chicken stock.