Make it bagel time, anytime. Not only are these homemade bagels delicious and customizable to your favorite bagel flavor, but they are incredibly adorable, too. Top with a schmear of cream cheese or jam and enjoy!
Prep Time2 hours
Cook Time35 minutes
Cook it With Our
- 2¼ teaspoons instant or active dry yeast
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1½ cups water, lukewarm
- 4 cups bread flour
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 4 quarts water
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine water, honey, and yeast. Let sit 5 minutes.
- In a separate bowl, whisk flour and salt together.
- Turn the stand mixer to medium speed with the dough hook attached. Slowly add the flour ½ cup at a time until the dough comes together. Lower the speed to medium-low and knead until the dough is smooth and pulls from the sides of the bowl, 5-7 minutes.
- Place dough in a greased bowl and flip to coat all sides. Cover with plastic wrap and set in a warm place for 1 hour.
- Punch down the dough and recover to rise for another 20 minutes.
- Divide the dough into 8 pieces covered with plastic wrap.
- Place the dough one piece at a time on a lightly floured countertop. Flour hands and pull the edges of the dough onto themselves 5 or 6 times making a misshapen ball. Make the “okay” sign with your hand and place on top of the ball resting your pinky and side of your palm on the countertop. Make contact with the dough but don’t press it down. Make small circles, about an inch in diameter, with your hand over the dough. The dough should form a nice ball. Cover with plastic wrap and repeat with the remaining dough.
- Lightly flour your hands again. Using your thumb and middle finger, press through the center of the dough. Start stretching the dough into a ring a little at a time. Once the ring is 2 inches in diameter, place on a greased cookie sheet and cover. Repeat with remaining dough.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Bring 4 quarts of water to a boil in an enameled dutch oven or large stock pot. Reduce the heat to a slight simmer and add 1 tablespoon molasses.
- Carefully add as many of the bagels to the water as you feel comfortable. Be sure not to crowd.
- Simmer for 1 minute per side. Use caution when turning the bagels over—we used a slotted spatula (or fish turner).
- Place simmered bagels on a greased pizza pan and season immediately with your favorite bagel toppings. Leave about an inch between bagels. Repeat with the remaining bagels.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes, rotating the pizza pan once halfway through.
- Remove from the oven and allow to rest on a cooling rack for 15-20 minutes