Grilled Watermelon Salad
This dish gets a kick from fried shallots, but waste not! Reserve the shallot oil to use on popcorn, with eggs, or when grilling vegetables.
Prep Time15 minutes
Cook Time25 minutes
Cook it With Our
- 3 shallots, peeled and divided
- 2 cups olive oil, plus 3 tablespoons divided
- 1 mini seedless watermelon, sliced in 1 ½ inch-thick wheels
- 3 cups arugula, packed
- 1 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- ½ cup basil leaves, torn
- ½ cup mint leaves, torn
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- Slice 2 shallots crosswise into thin rings. In a small saucepan, heat 2 cups of oil to 350 degrees F. Continuously stir the shallots in oil until golden brown, 8-10 minutes. Transfer the fried shallots onto a paper towel-lined dish, season with salt and cool completely.
- Cut the watermelon wheels into wedges. In a preheated round grill pan, grill in batches until marks appear, 2-3 minutes per side. Let cool. Cut off the rind and chop.
- Thinly slice the remaining shallot lengthwise. In a large bowl, mix the raw shallot, grilled watermelon, arugula, feta, basil, mint and remaining oil and season with salt and pepper. Garnish the salad with the fried shallots and serve.