Mimosa Cinnamon Rolls
Want to dress up your classic cinnamon rolls? Orange extract, zest, and juice add a lightness to the flavor, while the champagne brings a hint of decadence. Make these and we guarantee you'll be the new favorite host for weekend brunch.
Prep Time1 hour 45 minutes
Cook Time20 minutes
Cook it With Our
- 2½ teaspoons instant yeast or active dry yeast
- 1 cup lukewarm milk
- 4¾ cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- ¼ teaspoon orange extract
- ⅓ cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 3 tablespoons cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- ¼ cup butter, melted
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1½ tablespoons orange juice
- 1½ tablespoons champagne
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 orange peel, julienned (1-inch strips, ⅛-inch wide)
- ¼ cup sugar
- ¼ cup water
- Dissolve yeast in milk, 5 minutes. In a separate bowl, sift together flour, salt and sugar.
- In a stand mixer with a paddle attachment, mix wet ingredients at medium speed. Slowly add dry ingredients, using a dough hook attachment, knead all ingredients until dough pulls away from the sides of the mixing bowl, 5-7 minutes.
- Place dough in a lightly oiled bowl and turn dough to coat sides with oil. Cover with plastic wrap and allow the dough to rise until it has doubled in size, 1-2 hours.
- Deflate the dough and transfer to a lightly floured surface. Roll into a 16 x 24 inch rectangle and brush with 1/4 cup melted butter. Mix remaining filling ingredients together and spread evenly over the dough.
- Starting with the long end, roll the dough into a log, seam side down, and slice into 12 rolls. Place rolls in a lightly greased casserole pan and cover with a slightly damp dish towel for about 30 minutes. While the rolls are rising, preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Bake the rolls until they are golden brown, 20 minutes. While the rolls are baking, make the icing and candied orange zest.
- Mix the powdered sugar with orange juice, champagne, and vanilla extract. Fold in orange zest.
- Boil ¼ cup water with ¼ cup sugar until dissolved. Add orange peel and stir for 3-5 minutes. The syrup should be thick.
- Remove the orange peel from the syrup and place on parchment paper. Allow the orange peels to cool to room temperature.
- Remove buns from the oven and allow them to cool for 10 minutes before icing.
- Garnish with orange zest and serve with mimosas.