Red Velvet Cake
We paired our favorite cream cheese icing with this classic red velvet cake for an irresistible combination. This recipe is adapted from a local Tennessee favorite, Helen Exum’s Chattanooga Cookbook.
Prep Time10 minutes
Cook Time40-45 minutes
Cook it With Our
- ½ cup (+ 2 tablespoons) butter
- 1 ½ cups granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 cup (plus two tablespoons) buttermilk, room temperature
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoons liquid red food coloring
- 2 ¼ cups cake flour
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 4 tablespoons butter
- ½ cup (4 ounces) cream cheese, at room temperature
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- 1 ¾ cups powdered sugar
- ¼ cup milk, at room temperature
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and spray Fluted Cake Pan with Baker's Joy, grease, butter or Seasoning Spray.
- In a stand mixer on high speed, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Beating on a low speed, add eggs, one at a time.
- In a bowl, combine buttermilk, vanilla, vinegar, and red food coloring and mix until food coloring is evenly dispersed.
- In a separate bowl, mix cake flour with baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cocoa powder.
- Beating mixer on a low speed, add dry and wet ingredients alternately to the butter mixture, beginning and ending with the dry.
- Gently spoon batter into Fluted Cake Pan. Bake for 40-45 minutes, or until a cake tester comes out clean.
- Let rest for 10 minutes before turning out, then cool at least 30 minutes before frosting.
- Beat butter, cream cheese, and vanilla until light and fluffy. Add sugar gradually, beating well.
- Add milk, a little at a time, until the frosting reaches preferred consistency.