Smoked Cauliflower Steaks with Whiskey Glaze
Smoked cauliflower steaks are great as a side, but if you're looking for a vegetarian option, they’re also hearty enough to work as a main. For a spicier glaze, add extra tabasco and make sure to serve with a Jack and ginger or Hazy IPA.
Prep Time20 minutes
Cook Time25 minutes
Cook it With Our
- 2 large heads of cauliflower, cut into eight 1 inch thick steaks
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ¼ teaspoon garlic
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- ½ cup light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon whiskey
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon tabasco (optional)
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups hardwood chips
- Drizzle cauliflower with olive oil and season with salt, pepper, and garlic.
- Preheat the grill to medium-high heat. Add 2 cups of wood chips to the Smoker Skillet and top with the lid. Place the Smoker Skillet toward the back of the grill for about 15 minutes with the grill lid closed. (You should start to notice a decent amount of smoke coming from the grill.) Once the Smoker Skillet starts to smoke, turn one side of the grill to medium, leaving the Smoker Skillet over medium-high.
- While the grill is preheating, combine sauce ingredients except the butter and garlic in a small bowl and set aside.
- Oil the grates and place cauliflower on the hotter side of the grill.
- Cook cauliflower for 4 minutes on the first side. Cook for 4 minutes on the second side and then move to the cooler side of the grill. Close the lid and let the cauliflower smoke for 10–15 minutes, leaving the lid closed as much as possible.
- While the cauliflower cooks, melt butter in a 6.5 inch skillet on the grill over medium-heat. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute, then add the sauce ingredients and stir occasionally as the cauliflower cooks.
- Remove cauliflower and sauce from the grill. Drizzle the whiskey sauce over the cauliflower steaks and sprinkle with chives.