Apple Pear Crisp
A panoply of pears and apples puts this crisp a notch above the rest. Using whole oats and turbinado sugar enhances the texture for an extra crispy top.
Prep Time20 minutes
Cook Time1 hour
Cook it With Our
- 4 cups rolled oats, divided
- 2 ½ cups turbinado sugar, divided
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon allspice, ground
- 1 teaspoon cardamom, ground
- 1 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 3 gala apples, cored, sliced
- 3 granny smith apples, cored, sliced
- 3 pink lady apples, cored, sliced
- 2 bartlett pears, cored and sliced
- 1 bosc pear, cored and sliced
- ice cream, for serving
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a high-speed blender, add 2 cups of rolled oats and blend to a coarse flour consistency. Transfer to a mixing bowl and whisk with remaining whole oats, 1½ cup sugar, salt, allspice and cardamom. Pour in melted butter and stir until mixture develops a sandy consistency.
- In a large mixing bowl combine apples, pears and remaining sugar. Transfer the fruit mixture in a buttered Baking Dish and top with oat mixture.
- Bake the crisp until the fruit is soft and topping is golden brown, about 1 hour. Cool slightly and serve with ice cream.