Skillet Cauliflower-feta Pizza
If you haven’t made pizza with cauliflower, prepare to fall in love. Chef Robin Asbell created this hefty pie to show off the sweet flavor of roasted cauliflower, accented with piquant feta and asiago cheeses. Baking the pizza in cast iron makes the crust crisp while it cradles all the goodies.
Prep Time25-30 minutes
Cook Time30 minutes
Cook it With Our
- 1 ½ cups white whole-wheat flour, plus more as needed
- 1 teaspoon quick-rise yeast
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon honey
- ¾ cup warm water (110-115 degrees Fahrenheit)
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 8 ounces cauliflower florets (3½ cups)
- ½ cup chopped onion
- ½ small redbell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, sliced
- Canola oil
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 3 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
- 2 ounces asiago cheese, shredded
- ½ cup chopped fresh parsley or basil
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a large bowl or stand mixer fitted with the dough hook, make the pizza dough. Combine the flour, yeast, and salt. Stir in the warm water and 1 tablespoon of the olive oil. Knead or mix in the bowl, kneading in extra flour if needed to make a soft, barely sticky dough. Put the dough in an oiled bowl and let rise in a warm spot while you prep the veggies, until it is doubled in volume.
- In a large roasting pan, toss together the cauliflower, onion, bell pepper, garlic, and remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil. Roast, uncovered, for 20 minutes. The cauliflower should be soft and golden brown in spots. Let the veggies cool slightly.
- Lightly oil a cast iron Baking Pan with canola oil and sprinkle the bottom with the sesame seeds. Punch down the dough, then shape it into a large round. Press the dough into the cast iron pan and press it up the sides about an inch. Sprinkle the roasted veggies, cheeses, and parsley evenly over the top. Bake until the crust is crisp in the center of the pizza and the cheeses are melted and golden, about 20 minutes.
- Tilt the pan and use a metal spatula to lift the pizza onto a cutting board. Cut it into 6 wedges and serve.