A good sear produces deeper flavors in grilled foods, but even more importantly, it looks super cool. We eat with our eyes, right? So here’s the Lodge method to getting perfect marks every time.
Prep Time20 minutes
Cook Time20 minutes
Cook it With Our
- 2 NY strip steaks
- Canola oil
- Allow steaks to thaw to room temperature (safely) and pat dry.
- Season as desired. We recommend just salt and pepper.
- Light the charcoal and let it preheat until the edges are gray.
- Add charcoal to grill, set the cooking grate to preferred height, and preheat for about 10 minutes.
- Just before adding the steak, lightly swab the grate with oil.
- Add steaks and cook for ½ of overall time. For awesome criss-cross marks, turn 90 degrees at ¼ of the time.
- Flip and repeat.
- Remove steaks and allow to rest covered for at least 5 minutes. This will help retain moisture.
- Serve, receive praise, and let someone else do the dishes.