BBQ Cornbread With Bacon Sriracha Slaw
Make cornbread part of the entree with this 2018 Lodge National Cornbread Cook-off recipe. Susan Rogers from Round Rock, Texas, delivered a dish that gives you cornbread, sweet BBQ, and crunchy coleslaw in every bite. (Plus, enjoy a nice kick from the sriracha!)
Prep Time20 minutes
Cook Time16-18 minutes
Cook it With Our
- 2 cups cooked pulled pork or cooked shredded chicken
- 1/2 cup plus 3 tablespoons sweet BBQ sauce
- 6.5 ounce package Martha White Yellow Cornbread & Muffin Mix
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 4 slices thick-cut smoked bacon, cut into small pieces
- 1/4 cup ranch dressing
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon sriracha hot chili sauce
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 cups coleslaw mix
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Place the. bacon into a preheated 10 inch skillet and cook over low-medium heat until crispy. Drain on paper towels and set aside.
2. Combine the ranch dressing, garlic powder, chili sauce, vinegar, salt, and pepper in a separate, medium-sized bowl. Whisk to combine. Toss in the coleslaw mix. Refrigerate until needed.
3. Mix meat and 1/2 cup BBQ sauce in a small bowl and set aside.
4. Remove all the bacon drippings from skillet, retaining about 2 tablespoons. Put skillet in the oven to preheat.
5. Combine the cornbread mix with milk in a small mixing bowl and whisk until smooth. Stir in chopped onion and pour half the batter into the skillet. Add the BBQ meat to the skillet, placing the meat about an inch from the sides of the skillet. Spread it evenly. Spoon the remaining batter around the edges of the BBQ to form a crust. Bake 16-18 minutes until golden brown.
6. Stir the bacon into the coleslaw, then spoon the coleslaw over the BBQ, leaving the crust exposed. Drizzle the remaining BBQ sauce over the coleslaw. Cut into 4 equal portions and serve immediately.
Pro Tip: When you add the first half of the batter, tilt the skillet around to evenly spread the batter.