Cajun Shrimp 'n Grits With Cheddar Cornbread
Gloria Bradley, a competitor in the 2019 Lodge National Cornbread Cook-off, put a twist on traditional shrimp and grits with this cajun-inspired recipe. Each piece of cheddar cornbread is topped with savory shrimp, grits, and a spicy butter sauce.
Prep Time30-35 minutes
Cook Time11-13 minutes
Cook it With Our
- 3 slices thick-cut applewood-smoked bacon, cut into 1-inch long matchsticks
- 2 teaspoons Cajun seasoning
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1 pound medium to large shrimp, peeled, de-veined
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 0.9-oz package Hollandaise sauce mix
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup butter
- 3/4-1 teaspoon or to taste Tabasco or other hot sauce
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/4 cups milk
- 6 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 cup grated sharp yellow cheddar cheese
- 1 1/4 teaspoon Cajun seasoning
- 2 (6-oz) packages Martha White Cotton Country Buttermilk Cornbread Mix
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 1/2 tablespoons butter
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup uncooked quick cook (not instant) grits
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 3/4 cup grated sharp yellow cheddar cheese
- Tomatoes, green onion brushes, green onions (green parts only) thinly sliced, garnish
1. Cook bacon in a 10.25 inch skillet over medium heat until crisp. Remove bacon to a plate lined with paper towels; set aside and wipe skillet clean. Combine cajun seasoning and paprika in a medium bowl, then toss shrimp in the seasoning mix. Melt butter in a skillet over medium heat. Add garlic and stir for 30 seconds. Add shrimp and sauté until just cooked through about 4 minutes. Keep warm and set aside.
2. For the Tabasco butter sauce, whisk the hollandaise sauce mix and milk in a small saucepan. Add butter; bring to a boil and stir constantly. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring constantly, until thickened, 1 minute. Remove from heat and blend in Tabasco; keep warm and set aside.
3. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Spray six Heat-Treated 14 Ounce Round Cast Iron Mini Servers with nonstick cooking spray. Place in oven for 5 minutes or until hot. In a medium bowl using a whisk, whisk together eggs, milk, butter, cheese, and cajun seasoning. Blend in the cornbread mix. Spoon about 1/3 cup of rounded cornbread mixture evenly into six hot cast iron dishes. Bake for 11-13 minutes until light golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove from oven; keep warm.
4. Bring broth, butter, and salt to a boil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Whisk in grits; simmer while stirring constantly for 5 minutes. Add the cream and cheese. Keep whisking for another 2-3 minutes until the grits become creamy.
5. To assemble, spoon grits on top of cornbread, leaving a 1 inch border around the edges. Top each with 5 shrimp. Sprinkle with green onions and drizzle evenly with Tabasco butter sauce and top with bacon. Serve with remaining sauce. Garnish with tomatoes, green onion, or garnish as desired.