Cast Iron Steak & Shrimp Fajitas
Even beginners will find it easy to prepare these traditional fajitas. Well-seasoned steak, shrimp, flavorful spices, and veggies charred to perfection make this simple recipe a delight to enjoy with friends and family. The perforated holes in the grilling basket make it possible to infuse every bite with that mouthwatering grill flavor.
Prep Time15 minutes
Cook Time45 minutes
Cook it With Our
- 1.5 pound flank or skirt steak, sliced thinly against the grain
- 1 pound large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 tablespoon chipotle powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- ¼ cup lime juice
- 6 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 large yellow onion, sliced ¼ inch thick
- 1 large green bell pepper, sliced ¼ inch thick
- 1 large red bell pepper, sliced ¼ inch thick
- 4 cloves garlic, minced, sliced ¼ inch thick
- 12 flour tortillas
- queso fresco, garnish
- 1 jalapeno sliced, garnish
- Combine chipotle powder, cumin, garlic powder, salt, and pepper.
- In a large bowl or resealable bag, add sliced steak and sprinkle 2/3 of the seasoning mixture. Combine the lime juice and 4 tablespoons olive oil and mix well. Pour half the mixture over the steak and refrigerate for 30 minutes, up to 4 hours.
- Add the remaining lime juice mixture and seasonings to the shrimp and refrigerate.
- Toss sliced onions, bell peppers, and minced garlic together with remaining olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Preheat grill to medium-high heat for 10-15 minutes with the Grilling Basket inside. Add the steak in batches, being careful not to overcrowd. Grill for 3 minutes undisturbed, stir, and continue to cook 1-2 minutes. The steak should be nicely charred but not cooked all the way through. Remove to a plate and repeat with the rest of the steak.
- Add shrimp to the pan in a single layer and cook for 2-3 minutes. Turn shrimp and continue to cook for 1- 2 minutes. Remove from grilling basket and add to the plate with the steak.
- Allow the grilling pan to come back to temperature, about 1-2 minutes, with the lid closed.
- Add veggies in a single layer, cook undisturbed for 4 minutes, stir and cook an additional 2 minutes. Remove and continue to cook until all veggies are charred nicely but still a bit firm.
- Add veggies, steak, and shrimp back to the grilling pan and stir until evenly distributed and heated through.
- Wrap tortillas in aluminum foil and set on the grill.
- Remove the steak and shrimp mixture from the grill with the tortillas. Squeeze lime over fajitas.
- Fill tortillas with steak, shrimp, and veggies, queso fresco, jalapeno, cilantro, and garnish with lime juice.