Crispy Tofu and Charred Asparagus Stir-Fry
Meatless Monday? Try this flavor-packed vegan stir-fry. The dish is textured with crispy tofu and charred asparagus—the perfect vessels for the gingery, garlicky sauce that finishes off the cooking process. We like to serve it over rice or noodles with a generous drizzle of Sriracha.
Prep Time20 minutes
Cook Time25 minutes
Cook it With Our
- 1 pound extra firm tofu
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- 4 cloves garlic, minced or grated
- 2 teaspoons ginger, minced or grated
- 1 ½ teaspoons brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 pounds asparagus tips
- ½ teaspoon sesame oil
- chopped chives for garnish
- Sriracha for garnish
- Place tofu on a paper towel-lined plate, cover with paper towels, and place a cast iron skillet on top for about 20 minutes.
- Combine soy sauce, garlic, ginger, and brown sugar. Set aside.
- Heat wok over medium-high for 5-7 minutes. If using induction or electric cooktops, heat over medium-low for 5 minutes, then increase heat to medium-high for 3-5 minutes.
- Add vegetable oil and heat until it just begins to smoke.
- While the wok is preheating, cut the tofu into 1-inch pieces. Toss with cornstarch and season with salt.
- Add the tofu in a single layer to the wok. Cook for 3-5 minutes, allowing all sides to brown nicely.
- Remove the tofu from wok, and add a little oil if needed.
- Add the asparagus tips to the wok, sprinkle with salt, cook undisturbed for 2-3 minutes, and stir until nicely charred.
- Add the sauce and sesame oil to the wok and mix well.
- Toss the tofu in the sauce with the veggies, and cook for 1-2 additional minutes.
- Garnish with chives, drizzle with Sriracha, and serve immediately.