Gouda Cornbread Cakes With Seafood Cream Sauce
This recipe comes to us from our friend Pamela Gelsomini. Pamela used this recipe to win the 2018 National Cornbread Cook-off at the National Cornbread Festival in South Pittsburg, Tennessee!
Prep Time10 minutes
Cook Time40 minutes
Cook it With Our
- 1, 7-ounce package Martha White Sweet Yellow Cornbread & Muffin Mix
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup milk
- 1 cup frozen corn, thawed
- 1 ½ cups smoked gouda cheese, shredded
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 tablespoons butter
- ¾ pound scallops
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- 1 pound shrimp, shelled and deveined
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 6 ounces white button mushrooms, sliced
- 6 ounces pancetta, diced
- 1 jalapeÃ±o, chopped fine (including seeds)
- ½ cup green pepper, chopped
- ½ cup red bell pepper, chopped
- ½ cup frozen corn, thawed
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- ¾ cup smoked gouda cheese, shredded
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 4 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- In a large bowl, combine Martha White® Cornbread Mix, egg, milk, corn, and cheese to form batter. Heat a large cast iron skillet over medium heat with olive oil and 2 tablespoons of butter. Working in 2 batches of 3, make 6-inch pancakes (use an ice cream scoop to get a consistent size). Let cook until the bottoms begin to brown, about 1-2 minutes. Then flip to brown the other side. Cakes should be fluffy and golden brown. Place on a cookie sheet covered with foil, and place in a 200 degrees Fahreheit oven to keep warm.
- Heat your skillet over medium-high heat. Add 2 tablespoons of olive oil and 1 tablespoon of butter. Sprinkle scallops with ½ teaspoon salt, ½ teaspoon black pepper, garlic powder, and paprika. Lightly massage the scallops so the seasonings are evenly distributed. Place each scallop in the hot skillet, be careful not to crowd scallops, and sear for 1.5 minutes. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Add another tablespoon each of olive oil and butter to the pan and sear shrimp until they turn pink, about 2 minutes. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Reduce heat to medium and add remaining olive oil and butter to the pan. Sauté onions and garlic until soft and fragrant. Add mushrooms and pancetta and continue to cook for another 5 minutes, until pancetta renders fat and mushrooms begin to brown. Add jalapeño, green bell, and red bell peppers to the skillet and sauté until just soft, about 3 more minutes.
- Add corn, cream, and Dijon mustard to the skillet and bring to a boil and let reduce until thickened, about 3 minutes. Stir in shredded gouda and lemon juice.
- Serve one gouda corn cake topped with seafood sauce and garnish with parsley.