One-Pan Blackened Shrimp and Pesto Penne Pasta
Get this creamy, seafood pasta on the table in under 45 minutes. You can easily elevate this recipe by using homemade pesto on the pasta. However, if you need to save time, use store-bought pesto and blackening seasoning. We like to serve this dish with a simple chopped salad and your favorite vinaigrette and a hunk of crusty bread.
Prep Time15 minutes
Cook Time30 minutes
Cook it With Our
- 1 pound shrimp, large peeled and deveined
- 2 tablespoons blackening seasoning
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup plus ¼ cup pesto
- 1 cup chicken stock
- ¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 3 cups uncooked penne
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flake
- remaining pesto, for garnish
- grated parmesan cheese, for garnish
- fresh basil, cut into ribbons, for garnish
- red pepper flakes, for garnish
- ½ cup toasted pine nuts
- ¾ cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 5 cups fresh basil leaves
- ⅓ to ⅔ cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon thyme
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon cayenne, optional
- Pulse pine nuts, parmesan, garlic, salt, and basil in a food processor until combined. Slowly add olive oil until the pesto becomes smooth. Set aside.
- Pat shrimp dry with paper towels.
- Toss shrimp with 1 tablespoon olive oil and season well with blackening seasoning.
- Preheat the skillet over medium-high heat for 4-5 minutes.
- Add 1 tablespoon of olive oil and coat the bottom of the pan. Sear shrimp for 2 minutes per side. Set aside on a plate.
- Reduce the heat to medium. Melt 1 tablespoon butter, add the chicken stock, and bring to a simmer.
- Add penne and stir to coat. Simmer with the lid on for 10 - 12 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Whisk the heavy cream and 1 cup of pesto together. Slowly add the pesto mixture to the pan and stir until the sauce is well incorporated.
- Cover until the pasta is al dente, approximately 3-5 minutes.
- While the sauce is simmering, preheat the broiler.
- Remove the lid and stir the penne. If the pasta needs more hydration, add the remaining two tablespoons of heavy cream, and stir.
- Top with blackened shrimp and sprinkle with parmesan cheese. Broil for 1-2 minutes.
- Top with remaining pesto. Garnish with parmesan cheese, basil, and red pepper flakes.