Red-wine Braised Pot Roast With Root Vegetables
Few things warm the soul this time of year as much as a slow-cooked roast. When prepared in cast iron, your sear locks in moisture and flavor for long cook times, resulting in a roast so tender it slices like butter. This recipe simmers in a mixture of provencal herbs, broth, red wine, and spices to give you a finger-licking gravy. Add vegetables and voila!—you have well-rounded meal.
Prep Time30 minutes
Cook Time3 hours 45 minutes
Cook it With Our
- 8 ounces thick-cut bacon, diced
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons pepper
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 4-5 pound chuck roast
- 1 large yellow onion, sliced
- 1 head of garlic, peeled
- 4 large shallots, sliced
- ¼ cup beef broth
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 2 cups cabernet sauvignon, divided
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 red onion, chopped into 1-inch pieces
- 1 pound carrots, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 pound turnips, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F with a rack in the center.
- Preheat your Blacklock dutch oven over medium high heat for 3-5 minutes. Add bacon and cook until crispy, 10-12 minutes.
- Remove bacon to a paper-towel lined plate and reserve 2 tablespoons of bacon grease in the dutch oven.
- While the bacon is cooking, combine salt, pepper, paprika, and brown sugar. Rub the roast on all sides with the spice mixture. Sear the roast until deeply browned, about 3-5 minutes per side.
- Remove the roast and set aside. Lower the heat to medium.
- Scatter yellow onions, garlic, and shallots in the bottom of the dutch oven. Pour in beef broth. Use a wooden spoon to loosen browned bits. Stir in the bacon and set the roast over the onions.
- Add 1½ cups of wine and the bay leaves and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes uncovered. Cover with the lid and place in the oven for 1 hour.
- Flip the roast over and continue to cook for 30 minutes. Add wine ¼ cup at a time as needed.
- Flip the roast once more and continue to cook for 30 additional minutes.
- Remove roast and add turnips, carrots, and red onion. Add the roast back to the dish and cover once more, cooking for an additional 30-45 more minutes.
- Transfer meat to a rimmed platter. Remove bay leaves and herb sprigs. Season the braising liquid with salt and pepper and spoon some over the roast.
- Slice the roast or shred into portions and serve with the veggies.