Southern Greens Soup
This recipe is from Louise S. “Lou” Fuller, wife of Ed Fuller, president of the National Cornbread Festival, which is held each year in Lodge’s hometown, South Pittsburg, Tennessee. To no one’s surprise, Lou likes to serve this with hot cornbread!
Prep Time10 minutes
Cook Time25 minutes
Cook it With Our
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 4 cups water
- 1 package Knorr's dry vegetable soup mix
- 2 pounds turnip greens, washed well, drained, and chopped
- 1 20-ounce can white beans, drained
- 1 14-16-ounce package Polish sausage, sliced
- In a 7 Quart Dutch Oven over medium-high heat, cook the onion in the oil until softened, stirring a few times. Add the water and soup mix and stir to combine. Bring to a boil and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add the turnip greens and simmer 10 minutes.
- Add the beans and sausage and simmer until the greens are tender, about another 15 minutes. If you want it more “soupy,” add hot water.