A Chicago classic, this pizza is chock full of meat, cheese, and vegetables inside, while the top is dressed in its colorful tomato best. It’s perfect for baking in a cast iron skillet. You can prepare the dough, filling, and sauce ahead of time then assemble and bake the next day.
Prep Time45 minutes
Cook Time45 minutes
Cook it With Our
- 1 1/4 cups lukewarm water
- 2 teaspoons instant yeast
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 1/2 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1 1/2 pounds mild Italian sausage
- 1 cup medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped, or 10 ounces chopped frozen spinach, thawed and well drained
- 8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 10 ounces whole milk mozzarella, sliced thin
- 1 can Italian style tomatoes, drained and chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning or chopped fresh herbs
- 1/4 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- For the dough, in a large bowl, combine the dough ingredients in the order listed. Mix and knead to make a soft dough. Cover and let rest for 45 minutes, or refrigerate the dough overnight to bake the next day. After this rest, divide the dough 70/30; set the smaller piece aside, covered. Roll the larger piece to a 14” circle. Brush a 12” pizza pan or cast iron skillet with oil. Press the transfer the dough to the prepared pan, letting ½” drape over the sides.
- For the filling, in a large skillet, cook the sausage, onion, peppers (or spinach) and mushrooms. Season with salt then remove from the heat to cool to room temperature.
- Preheat the oven to 425°F.
- To assemble, spoon the cooled filling into the dough-lined pan. Place sliced mozzarella over the filling. Roll the smaller piece of dough into a 12” circle and place on top of the filling. Roll the overhanging dough over the edge of the top piece and pinch together to seal.
- Poke holes in the top dough to allow steam to escape.
- For the topping, sauté the tomatoes and spices for 10 minutes, breaking the tomatoes up with a fork. Cool to room temperature then spread over the top of the pizza. Sprinkle with fresh herbs, if using. Sprinkle the Parmesan on top.
- Place the pan on a baking sheet and bake for 45 minutes, until the crust is golden. Remove from the oven and let the pizza stand for 10 minutes before serving.