Sweet and Sassy Cornbread and Chicken Stack
Move over cornbread and waffles, there's a new stack in town. Linda Cifuentes of Mohomet, Ill., brought this recipe to the 2019 Lodge National Cornbread Cook-off and left us all wanting another bite.
Prep Time20 minutes
Cook Time12-15 minutes
Cook it With Our
- 1, 7-ounce package Martha White Sweet Yellow Cornbread and Muffin Mix
- 1/8 cup maple syrup
- enough milk to complete 1/2 cup
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 1 large jalapeÃ±o pepper, chopped
- 1 1/2 pounds chicken tenders
- 3/4 cup Martha White Sweet Cornbread and Muffin Mix
- 1/2 cup finely chopped pecans
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 egg
- vegetable oil for frying
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- parsley for garnish
1. Heat oven to 400 degrees F. Spray 10.25 inch skillet and place in oven to pre-heat for 8 minutes.
2. In a medium bowl, combine all cornbread ingredients, mixing well. Pour batter in heated pan and place back in oven. Bake 12-15 minutes.
3. While cornbread is baking, place cornbread mix, chopped pecans, salt, and parsley on waxed paper. Remove to rack.
4. Whisk egg in a shallow bow, then add milk. Dip chicken tenders in egg wash, then dredge in cornbread mixture.
5. Heat oil in a 10.25 inch skillet over medium-high heat. Cook chicken 2-3 minutes each side; covered. Remove tenders from oil onto paper towel.
6. To make the gravy, place butter, flour, salt, and pepper in the same skillet over medium heat, stirring constantly with whisk. Add milk/ maple syrup mixture, whisking constantly.
7. Cut cornbread into quarters and place one quarter on four plates. Top with two to three pieces of breaded chicken and drizzle with gravy. Sprinkle with parsley.