Whole Rainbow Trout With Jack Daniel’s Glazed Carrots
The fresh catch of the day is easily cooked over a live fire on the Lodge grill pan, meaning you can rest easy and enjoy a post-fishing cocktail while the pan does all the work. Pair with sweet carrots, glazed with a bit of Jack Daniel’s Tennessee Whiskey, but watch for the ‘fireworks’ when the whiskey hits the pan! This is a camp meal that’s sure to please every time.
Prep Time15 minutes
Cook Time20 minutes
Cook it With Our
- 2 whole rainbow trout filets, dressed
- 2 teaspoons Jack Daniels Steak Seasoning
- 4 fresh thyme sprigs
- 1 pound fresh carrots, peeled and stems trimmed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- ½ cup Jack Daniels whiskey
- ¼ cup light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon fresh-cracked pepper
- Preheat the grill to medium-high heat with the lid closed, about 10 minutes. Place the grill topper over the grill and close the lid, allowing the topper to heat for an additional 5 minutes, then lightly oil.
- Season the inside and outside of the trout evenly with steak seasoning and add a few thyme sprigs to the cavity of each fish.
- Toss the carrots with olive oil and place on one side of the Grill Topper. Add the trout to the other side of the topper and grill over direct heat for about 10 minutes.
- While the carrots are cooking, place an 8-inch skillet on the grill and add the butter. Once melted, add the brown sugar, orange juice, salt, and pepper. Mix well. Remove the glaze mixture from the heat and carefully add the whiskey. Stir and place back over the grill.
- Using a fish spatula, flip the trout over. Continue to cook the carrots, brushing with glaze, until just tender, about 10 minutes.
- Remove trout and carrots from the grill topper and serve with reserved glaze.