An ideal dish for putting all the good things in your garden to use, this can easily be doubled if you’d like to have extra on hand for a quick pizza topping. You can also add diced grilled slices of eggplant for an extra-smoky twist.
Prep Time1 hour
Cook Time30 minutes
Cook it With Our
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups chopped zucchini
- 1 cup diced onion
- 2 large garlic cloves, peeled and chopped or minced
- 1 ½ cups chopped tomato (1 large or 2 medium tomatoes)
- 1 teaspoon to 1 tablespoon sugar (depending on acidity of the tomatoes)
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
- ½ cup halved grape or cherry tomatoes
- 1 to 2 tablespoons drained capers
- ¼ cup pitted halved black olives, preferably oil-cured
- ¼ cup chopped fresh basil, parsley, or oregano (optional)
- Place a large skillet over medium-low heat. Add the oil, then the zucchini, onion, garlic, and tomatoes. Cover and cook for 10 minutes.
- Uncover and cook an additional 10 to 15 minutes, stirring frequently, until all the liquid has evaporated. Stir in the sugar, salt, and pepper; remove from the heat.
- When lukewarm, stir in the capers, cherry tomatoes, olives, and fresh herbs. Store covered and refrigerated until ready to use.