Chicken Yakitori Skewers
There's so much to love about a skewer meal. For starters, it's an entire meal you cook at one time and every bit of your food gets that incredible grill flavor. It's also easy to scale portions, whether you're cooking for two or a crowd. These Chicken Yakitori Skewers deliver a delightful umami thanks to the sesame oil, followed by a tang from the rice wine vinegar.
Prep Time40 minutes
Cook Time30 minutes
Cook it With Our
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 8 asparagus spears, cut into 1-inch pieces
- ½ cup soy sauce
- ½ cup mirin
- ¼ cup sugar
- ¼ cup rice wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 8 6-inch bamboo skewers, cut in half
- Whisk soy sauce, mirin, sugar, and rice wine vinegar together in a small sauce pot. Heat marinade to a boil and reduce to a simmer. Simmer marinade for 15 minutes, then remove from heat.
- Place chicken in a sealable bag or bowl and cover with half the marinade. Refrigerate for 30 minutes or up to 4 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Layer the chicken and asparagus on the skewers, alternating between the two.
- Gradually preheat the grill pan over medium-high heat for 5 minutes. Brush the skewers with sesame oil and sprinkle with salt. Cook the skewers in batches, 3-4 minutes per side.
- Return the skewers to the pan, brush with reserved marinade, and place in the oven for 5 minutes or until cooked through. Serve immediately.