Creamy Mushroom Soup
Make mealtime a cozy time when you fix this hearty mushroom soup. The layered flavors of garlic, shallots, and thyme, mixed in with the comfort of cream and balancing tang of sherry, touch all the taste buds for a winter meal you'll want to make again and again.
Prep Time15 minutes
Cook Time40 minutes
Cook it With Our
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- 2 large shallots, thinly sliced
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1½ pounds cremini mushrooms, sliced
- ¼ cup sherry
- ½ tablespoon thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 12 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 8 cups chicken stock, divided
- 1½ cups heavy cream
- 3 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- Melt 4 tablespoons of butter in a 5.5 quart dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add shallots and cook until softened, about 3 minutes. Add the garlic and continue to cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the sliced mushrooms, sherry, thyme, 1 teaspoons salt, and 2 tablespoons of butter, stirring occasionally for 5 – 7 minutes.
- Remove the sautéed mushrooms from the skillet. Lower the heat to medium.
- Melt remaining 2 tablespoons of butter and add bay leaves. Add the flour and 1 cup of stock and whisk. Add the rest of the stock, continuing to whisk until smooth. Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer, about 20 minutes.
- Slowly add the heavy cream and the remaining salt. Whisk until combined. Remove the bay leaves. Stir in the mushrooms and bring to a boil.
- Remove the soup from heat and season with salt and pepper to taste. Garnish with cracked pepper and olive oil.
Cook’s note: Up your culinary game by garnishing the soup with truffle-infused olive oil and cracked pepper.