Grilled Crispy Peanut Chicken Skewers
These chicken skewers are inspired by a love for Indonesian culture and Thai cuisine. The crisp, charry outside of the chicken provides the perfect contrast to the sweet and savory peanut sauce. Traditionally, peanut sauces are made from roasted or fried peanuts and served with a cucumber salad. You can easily adjust the portions of this recipe to feed a few or a crowd.
Prep Time40 minutes
Cook Time30 minutes
Cook it With Our
- 2 pounds chicken thighs, cut into 1- inch pieces
- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 16 6-inch bamboo skewers, soaked 15 minutes
- ½ cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
- 4-6 teaspoons water
- 1 teaspoons white vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup crushed peanuts
- 4 green onions, sliced green tops only
- red pepper flake, optional
- Combine water with salt and brown sugar until dissolved. Add chicken and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Fill a Chimney Starter with charcoal. Light the coals at the base of the starter and allow to burn until the coals have partially greyed over, 10-15 minutes.
- Add coals to the base of the Kickoff Grill, spreading the coals evenly with charcoal tongs.
- Place the domed grill grate over the top of the base and adjust the draft to medium. Heat for 5 minutes.
- While the coals are heating, whisk peanut butter, brown sugar, vinegar, and 2 tablespoons water together. If needed, add more water until the sauce is thin enough to drizzle. Reserve half the peanut sauce for dipping.
- Thread the chicken onto the soaked skewers leaving about 1 inch at the top of the skewer. Place threaded chicken skewers on a paper towel lined plate until ready to grill.
- Oil the grill grate and place the chicken around the kickoff grill with the open ends of the skewers hanging slightly over the edge of the grill. Grill the chicken 5 minutes per side, until nicely charred and cooked through.
- Brush the skewers with reserved peanut sauce and cook 1 additional minute, rotating once.
- Remove from the heat and garnish with crushed peanuts and green onions.
- Serve with remaining peanut sauce.