Grilled New York Strip Steaks with Harissa Butter
Tender and flavorful New York strip steak is mouthwateringly delicious on its own. But try taking it to the next level by amping up the flavor with Tunisian harissa seasoning—a fiery sauce that consists of an exotic mix of hot chiles, garlic, cumin, coriander, caraway, and olive oil. (And the great thing about this recipe is that the harissa butter can be refrigerated for up to one month before using. It also adds a tasty kick to other grilled or roasted foods, like asparagus.)
Prep Time30 minutes
Cook Time50 minutes
Cook it With Our
- ½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons harissa seasoning from Spicewalla
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh chives
- 1 ¾ teaspoon salt, divided
- 4 New York strip steaks
- 1 ½ teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 pound asparagus, ends trimmed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ teaspoon harissa seasoning
- In a medium bowl, beat butter until light and fluffy.
- Add 2 tablespoons harissa seasoning, chives, and ¼ teaspoon salt, and mix until thoroughly combined. Spoon mixture onto a piece of waxed or parchment paper, and form into the shape of a log.
- Fold paper over itself. Using your hands, shape butter into a cylinder about 1½ inches wide. Once it is shaped, twist ends to seal it.
- Place in freezer to set (about 20 minutes). Refrigerate until ready to serve (or up to one month).
- When ready to serve, slice roll into ¼-inch-thick rounds and remove waxed or parchment paper. (Only 4 slices of harissa butter are needed for this recipe.)
- Remove steaks from fridge and pat dry.
- Season all sides with 1 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon pepper, and garlic powder.
- Light charcoal and let it preheat until edges are gray (about 10 minutes).
- Place asparagus in a resealable bag or a shallow dish, and combine olive oil, ½ teaspoon salt, ½ teaspoon pepper, and ½ teaspoon harissa seasoning. Toss to combine, then set aside.
- Add charcoal to grill, place cooking grate on top, and preheat for about 5-7 minutes.
- Oil grill grate and add steaks.
- Grill side 1 for 4-5 minutes. Flip and repeat cooking until desired doneness. Cook 3-5 minutes more for medium-rare. (Use an instant-read thermometer to check internal temperature of meat.)
- Remove steaks and allow to rest, covered, for about 5 minutes.
- While steaks are resting, place asparagus at a slight angle so it doesn’t fall through the grates, and grill until lightly charred (about 5-7 minutes). Top steaks with harissa butter and serve immediately.