Sausage Potato Casserole With Roasted Red Peppers
This comforting casserole from our cookbook Cast Iron Nation combines sausage, potatoes, onions, and red roasted peppers in one delicious dish. We love how the taste is both sweet and spicy, and the potatoes are cheesy and delicious.
Prep Time30 minutes
Cook Time40 minutes
Cook it With Our
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 large onions, thinly sliced
- 4-5 hot sausage links, casings removed
- 6 medium-sized russet potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1, 12-ounce jar sliced roasted red peppers, drained
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup grated parmesan or mozzarella cheese
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Spray a 9 x 13 Baking Dish with nonstick seasoning.
- Melt butter in a Cast Iron Skillet over medium heat. Add the sausage and cook until lightly browned, about 5-10 minutes. Remove from the sausage, then add onions. Cook, stirring occasionally, until golden brown, about 20 minutes. Remove from the heat.
- Layer the potato slices evenly over the bottom of the baking dish, overlapping them; reserve enough of the potato slices to cover the top. Sprinkle the sausage meat over the potatoes. Arrange the sautéed onions evenly over the sausage, then the roasted peppers. Arrange the remaining potatoes over the peppers, drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle with the cheese, and season with salt and pepper.
- Bake until the potatoes and cheese are slightly brown and you can easily insert a knife through the center, about 35-40 minutes.