Tips & Tricks
Step-by-step Guide to the Lodge Smoker Skillet
Infuse great smoked flavor in your food with the new Smoker Skillet. Unlike many smoker boxes on the market today, this cast iron smoker has a skillet handle for easy lifting and maneuvering on the grill and a lid handle for great access to add or empty chips.
The Smoker Skillet heats quickly so you can easily achieve that sought-after smoky flavor on your gas grill.
The vent holes, designed in our iconic teardrop shape, allow the perfect amount of smoke to reach your food—and help keep chips in place. Here’s how to get started:
- Preheat your gas grill over medium-high heat, covered.
- Add up to 2 cups of wood chips to the smoker skillet and top with the lid.
- Place the smoker skillet toward the back of the grill and close the lid, allowing it to heat until it begins to smoke, about 10-15 minutes.
- Once the smoker skillet starts to smoke, lower the heat on the burners not directly above the skillet to the desired setting. Remember to keep the grill closed to ensure the maximum amount of smoky flavor is being imparted into the food.
- When you’re finished smoking food, empty the ash from your smoker skillet into an appropriate container. To ensure the embers are fully extinguished, soak them with water before discarding them in the trash or adding them to your fire pit.
Step up your smoked-food game
Once your smoker skillet begins to smoke, remove the lid using tongs and add aromatics, like fresh herbs and citrus peels, to the wood chips before replacing the lid. They will add depth and complexity to your dish with very little effort on your part. Play with different combinations and enjoy the flavors you create!
Here are a few of our favorite combinations:
- Orange and lemon zest
- Lemon zest and thyme
- Lime zest and oregano
Keep in mind that fresh herbs add more flavor than dried. The moisture in the fresh herbs will keep it smoking longer for a more infused flavor.
3 steps to recharge wood chips and empty ash
As you’re cooking, you may realize you want to extend the smoke time of your food. Thanks to the handles on the lid, it’s easy to recharge and empty the smoker skillet. Here’s how:
- Remove the lid with tongs (it will be hot) and set the lid directly on the grill.
- Using appropriate hand protection, dump the ash into an aluminum tray or non-flammable receptacle.
- Refill the skillet with wood chips and place back on the grill over medium-high heat. Put the lid back on the smoker skillet and cover the grill for about 10-15 minutes until it starts to smoke. Then follow the cooking directions listed above.
Introducing the New Cast Iron Kickoff Grill
Turn any outdoor gathering into a cookout with our new compact cast iron grill. Discover why our innovative Kickoff Grill will be your must-have outdoor cookware for a lifetime of celebrations.
5 Cast Iron Kitchen Essentials
Ready to cook with cast iron but not sure where to begin? We can help! Our comprehensive get-started guide showcases the top essential pieces for your kitchen.
Beginner’s Guide to Cast Iron Cleaning and Care
We’re here to help you with your everyday cast iron questions so you can start cooking and making memories—with confidence—today.
Whether you’re cooking outside or with a grill pan inside, choose cast iron for delicious results that impress every palate.