Tom Kha Gai Soup (Thai Coconut Shop, Chicken)
When the winter temperatures have you craving a big bowl of soup, look no further than this recipe. Inspired by traditional soup-making techniques, this dish layers the flavor as you saute veggies and the result is a brothy—yet creamy—soup full of spice and flavor, bound to invigorate and refresh.
Prep Time20 minutes
Cook Time40 minutes
Cook it With Our
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 white onion, sliced thin
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 inch fresh ginger, peeled and cut into 6 slices
- 2 stalks lemongrass, cut into four, 2-inch pieces and pounded
- 1 ½ tablespoons red curry paste
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 2 pounds chicken breast, sliced to ¼-inch thin and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 8 ounces shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 2, 13.5-ounce cans coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- Lime wedges
- Chili oil
- Gradually heat coconut oil over medium heat for 3-4 minutes. Add onion, garlic, ginger, lemongrass, and curry paste. Cook for 4-6 minutes.
- Once the onions soften, add chicken broth and bring to a boil. Add chicken and mushrooms, cover, and simmer for 10 minutes. Remove the lid and continue to cook until the chicken is cooked through, approximately 15 minutes.
- Add coconut milk, sugar, fish sauce, and lime juice. Stir to combine, 5 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste. Remove the ginger and lemongrass with a slotted spoon.
- Garnish with cilantro, chili oil, and lime wedges. Serve immediately.